Holly Lake Ranch Association
Board of Directors Minutes & Open Meeting Summary
Saturday, December 1, 2012
ALL BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT
Rob James, GM present
Vice President Jeanette Sterner chaired the meeting
The following serve as official minutes for action items in business conducted at the annual meeting of the Holly Lake Ranch Association.
1) Report of Election to Board of Directors
Three positions to be filled-the winning candidates were:
Larry Bowman (incumbent) 344 votes
Danny Ouimet 293 votes
Jeriann Bayley 287 votes
The three newly elected members were seated for two-year terms during the course of the meeting. Ballots received: 653 were counted. 125 ballots disqualified by Elections Committee.
2) Service Award
Presented to retiring three term Board Member Jeanette Sterner.
3) Election of BOD Officers for 2013
Motion by John Sparks:
President– Larry Bowman
Vice President – Greg Demko
Treasurer– Danny Ouimet
Secretary– John Sparks
Assistant Secretary – Jeriann Bayley
Unanimous Approval 5-0
GM James noted that this is the first time in the history of the Association that a Property Owner representative was elected to serve as President of the HLRA Board of Directors.
The following serves as a summary report of the annual meeting of the property owners of Holly Lake Ranch Association (HLRA). No action was taken on the discussion items.
OPEN MEETING SUMMARY DISCUSSION/REVIEW
1) GM James thanked the several committees and groups for their various service activity to HLRA and Property Owners, including:
Election Committee: This volunteer committee not only counts the votes, but also sets and enforces the rules and conducts the election process. Milton Husbands is the new chairman of the committee succeeding John Ott, who along with his wife Mary have served in that capacity for 13 years. John and Alice Darby again assisted with this committee’s important work for the tenth year.
Architectural Control Committee: This volunteer committee issues building permits and provides oversight on most of the Rules & Regulations impacting private lots. The five members of this committee are Danny Ouimet, Larry LeCocq, Liz Smith, Dale Kelly and Cathi Gramling. Danny and Cathi also served on the R&R Work Group which this past year has reviewed, rewritten and restructured the HLRA Rules and Regulations. This version of the R&R is now being reviewed by the 2013 Board.
Greens Committee: This committee works closely with Clayton Woods, the golf superintendent and Carl Worley, The Golf Professional to consider changes and improvements to this most important amenity and the continuing use of the course. Serving this past year were Co-Chairs Lee Bayley & Janie Johnson, who represented the Women’s 9-Hole Association. Also serving were Sharon Thorson, representing the Women’s Golf Association, Jim Armstrong, representing the Men’s Golf Association and HLRA Board appointees. Arlan Flake, Richard Trice, John Freundt and Lee Bailey.
Tennis Committee: This committee provides leadership to both competitive and recreational tennis as well as to facility maintenance and improvements. Pete and Bonnie Holden head this committee.
Newcomer Committee: Cynthia Webb helps to officially welcome newcomers and provides a packet of important information about the Ranch as well as the surrounding business, religious and social community.
Brush Burn Site Committee: This group opens our designated brush disposal site on the second Saturday of each month. The forest in which Holly Lake Ranch is located generates tons and tons of brush and dead trees, especially in a drought year like that we experienced in 2011. The site is managed under strict State regulations. Jay Blint heads this effort and the Holly Lake Volunteer Fire Department supervises and controls the burns.
Holly Herald & Official Web Site: For the past several years Ed and Ilene Casper have maintained and managed our web site and published the quarterly publication--both of which help to keep Ranchers informed of developments concerning our community.
Lakes Committee: The lakes and ponds within Holly Lake Ranch are an important asset and amenity. This group addresses various issues impacting these bodies of water. Russ Thurau and Danny Ouimet head up this group.
Christmas Decorating Committee: This volunteer group of property owners have spent countless hours in decorating the two main entries to the Ranch as well as some of our buildings. Karen Taricco and Julie Fleming have headed this effort up for the past few years. (A property owner in the audience said she would provide and donate the decorations if the committee would add the new Security Building to the facilities being decorated.)
2) GM James also recognized the five HLRA department heads:
Maintenance:Dave Grover, who celebrated his fifth year of service in 2012.
Golf Maintenance: Clayton Woods
Golf Professional: Carl Worley
Office Manager: Bob Walker, also celebrating his fifth anniversary.
3) GM James reviewed the notable expenditures and improvements to the property and amenities during the 2012 fiscal year, including:
- New Security Building
- Emergency Telephone Call System (Test to be conducted week of 12/02)
- Surveillance Camera System Upgrades (Section 6 & Section 3)
- Repairs and improvements to Gun Range
- Lake Management: hired a professional to spray for obnoxious growth. Purchased and adapted a boat with special lift designed and crafted by Dave Grover for algae removal. (We are investigating the possibility of lowering the water level of Lake Greenbrier this winter to freeze out some of the plant life and provide an opportunity for property owners to install lakefront improvements.)
- Installed split rail fencing in several areas throughout the Ranch
- Tree removal in common areas and around amenities. Approximately 350 stumps ground down by contractor.
- Road resurfacing and repair: $247,000 total expenditure including $10,000 carryover from 2011 and $7,000 added to original 2012 budget.
- Golf Course: Major project-sodding of rough between fairway and clubhouse on 18th hole; Drainage curbing added to cart path on 5th hole; Tee extensions added to five holes; various cart path repairs, and range ball replacement.
- Golf Course/Restaurant Parking Lot: Major dirt-moving work has begun along with the laying the landscape stones for the perimeter wall. Members of the HLR Garden Club (some of whom are Master Gardeners) are consulting with management re: plant selection.
- Recreation: Playground equipment installed at West Side; showers in dressing room area of West Side swimming pool repaired, and benches installed in recreation area on West Side and in Section 3 and 6.
- Fitness Center: Three new devices were installed,
4) GM James outlined the projects and goals for 2013:
- New card-activated gate system to be installed at Section 3 swimming pool (the same as at the West Side pool and at the Fitness Center). Admission limited to property owners current on Association dues.
- Budgeted $240,000 for Road resurfacing and repair
- purchase new backhoe (replace 11-year old equipment )
- Lighting systems for entry/gate areas to improve visibility and provide needed illumination for Security purposes.
- Replacement device for gate arms. Preliminary plan is to replace one unit per year for the next several years.
- Gun Range repairs
- Tree removal
- Split rail fencing additions
- Seasonal spray treatment program for Lake Greenbrier
(see note in Lake Management above)
- New septic system serving Billiard/Card Hall
- Repaint the Fitness Center
- Add exercise stations along walking/jogging path
- Resurface walking/jogging path
- Necessary repairs at Tennis courts
- Golf Course: major project to sod rough area on 9th hole
- West Side swimming pool resurfacing/landscape improvements
- budgeted replacement equipment for Fitness Center
5) Property Owner Shonna Mulkey, Sec. 7, Lot 133 asked that the Board consider establishing a Work Group to consider any necessary changes to the HLRA’s Bylaws, and that property owners be allowed to vote upon these new bylaws. She asked also that the Board consider submitting the newly revised Rules and Regulations document to property owners for consideration and review before implementation.
In his response to Shonna Mulkey President Bowman said he could not speak for the newly constituted board on how the proposed new Rules and Regulations would be processed.
6) President Bowman announced that an informational meeting has been scheduled for Tuesday, December 11 to discuss the possibility of creating RV and trailer storage at the former HLRA stable property.
Bowman also announced that the Board would be actively pursuing the prospect of converting the West Side swimming pool into a year-round facility.
7) President Bowman said the possibility of enclosing the West Side Pool for year-round use was being seriously considered by the Board to upgrade a three/four month amenitiy into a 12-month amenity. We will soon be seeking volunteers for a 2013 Work Group to investigate the feasibility of such a move.
8) An appeal was issued to those attending the meeting to consider volunteering for service on 1. the Architectural Control Committee (ACC) and 2. a newly-formed Finance Committee, for which a CPA or work experience in corporate or municipal finance would be helpful.
After thanking all for attending the meeting, Bowman officially adjourned the meeting.
Summary provided by John Sparks
|Newest Ranch Members|
|Pictures around the Ranch|
|Restaurants on the Ranch|
|map to HLR|
|Lots for Sale|
|Association Office & Staff|
|HLR Board of Directors|
|Board Meeting Minutes|
|General Manager's Comments|
|Rules and Regulations|
|Architectual Control Committee|
|Land Sales Agreement|
|Gate Card/Pass Order Form|
|Recreational Facilities Agreement|
|Jan 2013 Association Mtg|
|Mar 2013 Assoc. Mtg|
|May 2012 "B" Bd|
|July 2012 "B" Bd|
|Sep 2012 "B" Bd|
|Nov 2012 Bd Mtg|
|Dec 2012 - Annual Mtg|
|Area Live Theater|
|Golf General Information|
|Pro Shop Staff|
|Comments from the Pro|
|WGA - 9 Holers|
|WGA - 18 Holers|
|WGA Play Day Results|
|MGA General Information|
|Hole-in-One & Special Achmt's|
|Spring Fling March 20|
|Member/Member April 17|
|Orphan Annie May 18 & 19|
|Jack & Jill June 12|
|Red, White & Blue July 3|
|Summer Sweat August 7|
|Club Championship Sept 14 & 15|
|Battle of the Lakes October 9|
|Fall Fling October 23|
|Turkey Shoot November 20|
|B & B|
|MGA Meeting Minutes|
|MGA Play Day Results|
|Jan 2013 Mtg|
|March 2013 Mtg|
|May 2012 Mtg|
|June 2012 Mtg|
|July 2012 Mtg|
|Aug 2012 Mtg|
|Oct 2012 Mtg|
|Nov 2012 Mtg|
|Dec 2011 Mtg|
|Brush Collection Sites|
|Fire / Rescue|
|ISO Rating Letter|
|Security - General Information|
|Permanent Guest list|
|Gun Range Rules|