Holly Lake Ranch Association (HLRA)
Open B-Board Meeting Summary
Tuesday, May 15, 2012
Note: Members ofthe Holly Lake Ranch Association B-Board meet with property owners every other month to discuss developments& issues of interest and to hear suggestions & expressions of concern. The B-Board consists of four elected property owners and together with the five members of the A-Board (selected by developer, Silverleaf Resorts) serve as the governing body of HLRA.
Greg Demko, member of HLRA Board presided at the meeting. Also present Larry Bowman, Treasurer; John Sparks, Secretary & Jeanette Sterner as well as HLRA General Manager Rob James.
Demko opened meeting with a review of rules governing interactions at the meeting appealing for respect& patience so meeting can be conducted in a civil & productive manner. He asked that property owners hold questions until after preliminary presentation of each agenda. Questioners must be recognized & wait until portable microphone is delivered, then identify themselves by name & section/lot or address.
New Security Building
Demko called on Rob James to provide an update on the newly completed Security Building at the East Gate. James said the building had been completed a little ahead of schedule and within budget of 93,000.
A ribbon cutting for the Security Building was held on Monday, May 7. Tours were offered to the approximately 60 in attendance as well as to any property owner throughout the week of May 7. James said those homeowners who are interested are still welcome to take a look at their convenience. In matters related to the new security building, James said the administration was following through on the promise to establish an automated emergency telephone calling system in the new building. Costs related to such systems are higher than the anticipated $2,500. Indeed some running to $8-and-$10,000, but by thoroughly investigating our options, we are narrowing the choices down to a system in the $3,400 per year range. Such systems can call each and every homeowner within the system with the push of a button.
James also responded to a question submitted in advance by Pat Jones (07-050) regarding the availability of Security Reports. James said Brian South prepares a monthly report on the activities of the Security Officers in categories such as medical calls, criminal activity, mischievous activity, etc. James said such reports are no longer being posted on the website or in the Holly Herald because we don’t want “just anybody” to know our business. The reports are available to property owners by request at the Security Building or at the Administration Office.
Demko called on Bowman who provided a summary of the response results of the nine-question survey mailed last month to all property owners. He presented visuals of the statistical compilations on the several topics covered in the survey. Bowman pointed out that while 469 surveys were returned, not all respondents answered each question or sub-part, so the figures won’t add up. Respondents to the survey live in each section of the Ranch and represent a cross section of full-time and part-time residents.
That breakdown is as follows:
Section 1 37
Section 2 52
Section 3 17
Section 4 112
Section 5 32
Section 6 40
Section 7 19
Section 8 82
Section 9 69
Section 10 9
TOTAL 469 91 of this total identified themselves as part-time residents.
The complete statistical results for each of the nine questions on the survey as presented on slides at the meeting can be viewed on the Holly Lake Ranch web site or copies are available at the Administration Office. Questions re: the results should be directed to Bowman.
QUESTION 1. Utilization of 19th Hole Fore Seasons.
Yes – 252
No – 145
Sub-question 1.a Food Fee
Yes – 55
No - 212
QUESTION 2. Fitness Center Utilization.
No – 247
Sub-question 2.a Would you utilize an indoor lap pool
Yes – 168
No - 283
QUESTION 3. Dog Park
Yes – 120
No – 354
QUESTION 4. Remove Stable Building, Utilize area as:
Activity Center – 60
Ball Park – 63
Soccer Field – 27
Park/Picnic Grounds– 150
Add rifle Range – 82
Frisbee Golf – 51
QUESTION 5. Utilization of Golf Course
Yes – 182
No – 313
Sub-question 5.a Maintenance of Course
Very Good 52
Sub-question 5.b Course Benefit to Ranch
Great Amenity 160
Adds Some Value 83
Don’t Know 30
QUESTION 6. Roads
Adequate Progress: Yes – 304 No – 146
Take funds from other amenities: Yes – 176 No 211
Support Special Assessment $25: Yes -155 No – 302
QUESTION 7.Internal Communications Method
Web Site 158
Bulletin Boards 232
Holly Herald 289
Billing Newsletter 408
Gate Marquee 308
Word of Mouth 51
QUESTION 8. Authorized to use Gun Range
Yes - 97
No – 345
Question 9. New or improve amenity
Top 5 submitted (by count)
1) An indoor heated pool would benefit many
2) The lakes need more maintenance & a fishing pier at Lake Greenbrier.
3) We need to clean up and take care of what we have
4) The older people here forget that there are others here and many of us have additional needs
5) Need a new entrance sign on East Side
East Side Sign
Bowman reported Silverleaf has verbally agreed to fund a new East Side Sign compatible with the West Side Sign funded by the Association last year. The Silverleaf sign on U.S. 80 and FM-2869 will be coming down in September.
Bowman reported the Association has held discussions with Texas Department of Transportation regarding road signs directing travelers to Holly Lake. The TxDOT answer has always been “as replacements are needed.” We called upon Bryan Hughes, District 5 State Representative for some assistance with TxDOT. New signs will be placed at key intersections US-80/SH-14; US-80/FM-2869; SH-154/FM-2869: SH-14/FM-2869; SH-49/FM-2869: SH-14/SH-49. in the coming weeks.
Demko reported that the Fitness workshops held two days last week were very successful, drawing large crowds of interested participants. The board is looking into the possibility of having a personal trainer on a as-needed basis, perhaps monthly or semi-monthly for some small group sessions.
West Side Pool/ Playground
James reported the West Side Pool House has been re-painted, split rail fencing is being installed from putt-putt course to the tennis courts, and the playground equipment will be installed before Memorial Day.
James reported the lakes were sprayed three times in April and once in May so far with a second scheduled for this week. He said the Maintenance Department had devised a boat attachment that will be used to remove algae and other plant life from areas in and around docks. A water chemistry test was conducted and we were advised that the water tested in desirable ranges, looking good for wildlife and fish. If anyone sees a hot spot on the lake, contact the office and I’ll pass it on to the sprayer.
Garbage Can/Delinquent Dues
James reported the Association has adopted a new policy with regard to delinquent property dues.
The Association will remove the green IESI garbage can from the property of homeowners with 90-day-plus non-payment of dues. This property owner will not have garbage pick-up as long as dues are in arrears.
Lady in audience (identification inaudible): What is that going to do to the neighborhood where the people pay their dues and have their garbage picked up, and yet have garbage all over the place? Bowman responded: We have to do something. We found when this has been done; the people will come in and pay their dues.
Carol Harper/5-81: I’ve noticed several people using trash cans other than the green ones and their trash gets picked up. Bowman: That has been addressed and it will not be done. ISIE has agreed they will not pick it up if it is not in the green can. James: If you have a green can out and put another one out with it, ISIE will pick up both. The official word now is: You must have your green can out there for pickup.
Silas Franks/9-235: Why did Security pick up my can last week? James: If you are not paying your garbage fee a dues, we tell IESI not to pick up your garbage. It is not costing you guys any money for them to pick up delinquent homeowners’ garbage can, but we don’t like the fact that it was still being picked up. Franks: We have no trash can, what are we to do with our trash? James: That is an issue we will have to see how it will be playing out. Most people do not want to have garbage in front of their house being all torn up by the raccoons and wildlife. If it becomes a major issue we will have to look at it. As Larry said, it has made a major difference in people paying their delinquent dues. Sometimes you have to weigh the good with bad and at this point, the good outweighs the bad. We will see what happens.
Rules & Regulations Work Group
Sparks reported that this newly formed Work Group had held met for its initial meeting. It will probably meet weekly for the next few weeks. They are reviewing everything currently in the rules that we all must observe. We are getting input from anyone willing to speak and I will attempt to get a schedule on the board of when we will meet so anyone can come. Or, you can Email r call me with your suggestions.
Lots for Sale
Bowman reported the Association has been reporting in the Holly Herald that we have a number of lots for sale. The Board has met with area realtors and many of those lots are listed with the realtors to be offered for sale. We want to start moving them and then possibly to builders and others to help move them.
Emergency Preparedness Plan
Demko stated that everyone should have received their Emergency Preparedness brochure in the monthly mailing. If not, copies are available in the administration office. The new updated HLR maps will not only include HLR but also surrounding county roads, which extend into three other counties. The maps will be for sale through Hook& Ladder and the administration office. Please get one and be familiar with all the emergency exits. Hook & Ladder will make a little money off of these sales, so we want to support them when the maps become available.
Stumps & Brush Dump
James pointed out the drought took a toll on everyone. We have taken down numerous trees. We had budgeted grind 200 stumps on the gold course and had reached this number within a few days. We have been authorized to grind 300. We just finished our 300. Clayton advises there are an additional 20-25 dead trees on the golf course. Right now tree & stump removal has been put on hiatus, but we will probably have more. We had an additional 73 trees taken down by the Maintenance Department. These stumps were also ground with the chips being put to effective use on and around the golf course.
James said we want to keep things cleaned up and eliminate the fire hazard around here. Jay Blint is in charge of our brush dump and has given us additional days to dispose of brush as follows: May 19, June 9, June 16, July 14 and July 21. The time is 8:30 to Noon. After we finish these days, we will see where we stand with the schedule. Also, IESI will pick up small sticks and branches as long as these are bundled no longer than 4 feet in length. Do not bag your brush, but tie them into small bundles and place them beside your trash can. They will be picked up on your usual garbage day.
Pools Opening Schedule
James announced this weekend as the “trial weekend” for the pools. It is not advertised as the official opening, but just a bonus time. Adult swim or rehab hour will be Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 10 to 11. No one under 18. Water Aerobics will have two classes this year beginning May 28. Classes are Monday-through-Friday at 7 am and Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday at 8 am. The 8 am class will begin May 31. Classes continue until September 30.
Regular Pool hours will begin officially Saturday May 27 from 10 am to 9 pm. Dianne Adams, on of the instructors is now certified in water aerobics. These hours will change on August 27 when school begins. The hours will be 10 am to 8 pm. Kay Sloan is teaching swim lessons again. Anyone interested should call her at 769 4044 to set these up. We will notify regarding any reservation of pools for special groups such at MOPS, etc.
Dianne Adams/5-220: After looking at the figures from the survey on the indoor pool, almost 168 people said they would use an indoor pool vs. 182 people that said they use the golf course. I would like it to be noted a third of the homeowners stated they would use a covered pool. It seems that this would be a really good benefit for us. I think the figures are positive for this.
General Announcements & Property Owners Comments
Sparks: We are forming a Trees Work Group. This will not only consider the problems we are currently having but some proactive things we may be able to do as property owners. It will be headed up by David Hall who is a professional forester. I have one other volunteer at the moment, so anyone interested in this, please come up and sign in. We will meet early next week for our first meeting.
Demko: Larry had mentioned previously the stable area. We need to give some serious consideration to the future of this area and we are putting together a Stables Area Work Group to do future planning for the stable area as well as Sundown Bayou. This will be a long-range plan to utilize this area, possibly planting trees or making picnic areas. Anyone interested in getting involved in this group let me know. Gentleman (inaudible identification): Community Garden in the stable area. Would the Ranch pay for the water? Demko: If a homeowner rented their plot, would that include the water fee. Realistically, no plans have been made to even consider this yet. This is a long range plan that all of this needs to be considered into. We have a lot of subjects for that area.
Demko: Tennis camp will be held next month--June 13 through June 21 for kids and grandkids. Last year there were 7 kids who attended and already 15 have signed up for this year. Anyone interested contact Don Temple or the Administration Office.
Betty Stasaitis 08-228: Instead of turning over the available lots to the realtors and paying the realtors’ fees why don’t you just drop the price of the lot because you will benefit from the $2,500 initiation fee alone in many cases once those lots are sold, especially at a reduced price? Bowman: We are looking at all the angles to see what to do.
James: We will again have fireworks on July 3. This was such a positive event for Holly Lake Ranch last year. It was sponsored by the Fishing Club and co-sponsored by the Association. It wouldn’t have happened without the club and they are doing it again with all the organizing. They all need to be commended for their efforts. It will be July 3 at 0-dark-thirty. Russ Thurau/04-00C: If you liked last year, we are planning on taking it up a notch with the same people but the size will be larger and music may be available. James: The Fire Department will be there again this year.
Sterner: Be sure to mention the various activities that are happening to the Holly Herald and Belinda Flowers so they will be able to get the information out.
James: Garland Ford and his group of volunteers are to be commended for completing the sign for Section 8 last week. He will begin Section 3 on June 25 thru June 29.
Dianne Adams/05-220: Garden Club meeting May 29 has guest speakers from the Sabine River Authority and the Trinity River Authority. It will be a very interesting meeting and we would like to show them that HLR does care about our water. Meeting is May 29 at 2 pm. Bowman: There have been areas of the country that have lost their water or portions of their water because others have come in and demanded it. DFW has a lot or political clout and we better be aware of what they are doing. Every homeowner out here needs to be aware of what is going on with our lakes and water supply.
Lady/Section 4-155: I am irritated to see the signage “Keep Holly Lake Beautiful” and yet you drive up and down the streets and see campers, trailers, RVs, numerous cars in a back yards, all like that and to me that is not beautiful. I wish that we would have a place to put these things instead of having them in our yards. Demko: The Rules & Regulations Work Group is trying to tackle the problem and it is being discussed.
No further business or discussion Demko adjourned the meeting.
|Newest Ranch Members|
|Pictures around the Ranch|
|Restaurants on the Ranch|
|map to HLR|
|Lots for Sale|
|Association Office & Staff|
|HLR Board of Directors|
|Board Meeting Minutes|
|General Manager's Comments|
|Rules and Regulations|
|Architectual Control Committee|
|Land Sales Agreement|
|Gate Card/Pass Order Form|
|Recreational Facilities Agreement|
|Jan 2013 Association Mtg|
|Mar 2013 Assoc. Mtg|
|May 2012 "B" Bd|
|July 2012 "B" Bd|
|Sep 2012 "B" Bd|
|Nov 2012 Bd Mtg|
|Dec 2012 - Annual Mtg|
|Area Live Theater|
|Golf General Information|
|Pro Shop Staff|
|Comments from the Pro|
|WGA - 9 Holers|
|WGA - 18 Holers|
|WGA Play Day Results|
|MGA General Information|
|Hole-in-One & Special Achmt's|
|Spring Fling March 20|
|Member/Member April 17|
|Orphan Annie May 18 & 19|
|Jack & Jill June 12|
|Red, White & Blue July 3|
|Summer Sweat August 7|
|Club Championship Sept 14 & 15|
|Battle of the Lakes October 9|
|Fall Fling October 23|
|Turkey Shoot November 20|
|B & B|
|MGA Meeting Minutes|
|MGA Play Day Results|
|Jan 2013 Mtg|
|March 2013 Mtg|
|May 2012 Mtg|
|June 2012 Mtg|
|July 2012 Mtg|
|Aug 2012 Mtg|
|Oct 2012 Mtg|
|Nov 2012 Mtg|
|Dec 2011 Mtg|
|Brush Collection Sites|
|Fire / Rescue|
|ISO Rating Letter|
|Security - General Information|
|Permanent Guest list|
|Gun Range Rules|